|M. Narasimha Murty (Professor)
PhD (1982, IISc)
SELECTED PUBLICATIONS (each has 20 or more number of citations as per Google Scholar on November 22, 2016)
- B. Shekar: A Knowledge-Based Approach to Pattern Clustering, 1988 (with Prof. G. Krishna).
- S.H. Srinivasan: Studies in Learning and Representation in connectionist Networks, 1993.
- V. Sridhar: Labelled clustering and its Applications, 1993.
- G. Phanendra Babu: Evolutionary and Connectionist Approaches to Pattern Clustering, 1994 (with Prof. S. Sathiya Keerthi).
- M. Prakash: Learning in Subspace Methods Using weighted and Multi-Subspace Representations, 1996.
- S. Bhattacharya: A Novel Scheme for Speech Synthesis, 1997.
- V. Susheela Devi: Optimal Prototype Selection for Efficient Pattern Classification, 2001 (with Prof. Indraneel Sen).
- K. R. K. Murthy: Sharable Instructable Agent for Information Filtering, 2001 (with Prof. S. Sathiya Keerthi).
- C. Bhattacharyya: Plefka's Mean-Field Theory and Belief Networks, 2002 (with Prof. Sathiya Keerthi).
- S. K. Shevade: Some Efficient Algorithms for Support Vector Machines, 2001 (with Prof. S. Sathiya Keerthi).
- Dipti Deodhare: Bimodal Projections Based Features for High Dimensional Pattern Classification, 2001 (with Dr. M. Vidyasagar).
- V. S. Ananthanarayana: Knowledge-Based Mining of Multi-Databases for Associations, 2001 (with Prof. D. K. Subramanian).
- S. V. N. Vishwanathan: Kernel Methods: Fast Algorithms and Real Life Applications, 2003.
- P. Viswanath: Pattern Synthesis Techniques and Compact Data
Representation Schemes for Efficient Nearest Neighbor Classification,
2005 (with Dr. S. Bhatnagar) (Awarded the Best Thesis Award).
- P. A. Vijaya: Efficient Hierarchical Clustering Techniques for Pattern Classification, 2005 (with Prof. D. K. Subramanian).
- D. Ambedkar: On generalized Measures of Information with Maximum
and Minimum Entropy Prescriptions, 2006(with Dr. S. Bhatnagar).
- T. Ravindra Babu: Efficient Schemes for Large-Scale Pattern Classification, 2006 (with Dr. V. K. Agrawal).
- S. Asharaf: Efficient Kernel Methods for Large Scale
Classification, 2007 (with Dr. S. K. Shevade)(IBM Outstanding PhD
- Geetha Manjunath, Semantic Analysis of Web Pages for Task-Based Personal Web Interactions, 2013 (with Dr. Dinkar Sitaram, HP Research Labs, Bangalore).
- N. N. Ranga Suri, Outlier Detection with Applications in Graph Data Mining, 2014 (with Dr. Athithan, CAIR, Bangalore).
- Shyni Thomas, Planning based on Informed Search (In Progress) (with Dr. Dipti Deodhare, CAIR, Bangalore).
- Govind Sharma, Document Summarization(In Progress).
- Sharad Nandanawar, Topic Models(In Progress).
M. Sc. (Engg.) Students:
- C. Srinivas: Pattern classification using conjunctive conceptual clustering procedures, 1986.
- S. Choudhury: Hierarchical Data Structures for Pattern Recognition, 1987.
- Malini K. Bhandaru: Learning from examples using Hierarchical Counterfactual Expressions, 1989.
- Atul Negi: Algorithmic knowledge for a knowledge-based clustering environment, 1989.
- V. Rajasekar: Intelligent Backtracking in Logic Programs, 1990.
- V.S.S. Suresh Babu: Preprocessing for Optimal Multilevel clustering, 1990.
- Francis Joy: Reason Maintenance and Logic, 1993.
- V. Vijaya Saradhi: Pattern Representation and Prototype Selection for Handwritten Digit Recognition, 1999.
- P. Ramanujam: Development of a General-Purpose Sanskrit Parser, 1999 (with Prof. Nagaraj Shenoy).
- T. Ravindra Babu: Data Clustering and Evolutionary Algorithms for Data Mining, 2000 (with Dr. M. Sambasiva Rao).
- D. Ambedkar: ACE-Model: A Conceptual Evolutionary Model for Evolutionary Computation and Artificial Life, 2002.
- B. N. Ranganath: Efficient Frequent Closed Itemset Algorithms with Applications to Stream Mining and Classification, 2009.
- Govind Sharma: Sentiment-Driven Topic Analysis of Song Lyrics, 2012.
AWARDS and HONORS
Leader, Team winning the KDD Cup 2003 (task 1) organized by the Cornell University
The paper "Pattern Clustering: A Review" coauthored by him is the most frequently downloaded article during 2004, 2005, and 2006 from ACM publications (Source: Communications of the ACM).
Alumni Award for Excellence in Research for Engineering, IISc, Bangalore, 2007.
- Fellow, Indian National Academy of Engineering (INAE), India, 2008.
IISc Colloquium, "Clustering Large Data sets", delivered on March 29, 2010.
Associate Editor, Sadhana, An Official Journal of the Indian Academy of Sciences, published by Springer.
- Fellow, The National Academy of Sciences (NASI), India, 2011.
Dept. of CSA, IISc
Bangalore-560 012, India